A Brief History
Cherry Road Baptist Church operated as a mission of Cherokee Baptist Church beginning in 1954, and was constituted as a church on June 24,1956, as a cooperating member of the Shelby Baptist Association. Our first service was held in a leased tavern called "The Hamlet," which was eventually purchased along with a two-story house and 3.5 acres of land. There were 62 people present on the first Sunday. Dr Robert Presnall served as our first pastor until 1968. In 1957 a small auditorium seating 300 was built, facing Fredericks Avenue. In 1960 an education building was built, and the old tavern and the two-story house were demolished. With a Sunday School of 700 members and 549 church members, this addition was put to valuable use. Not long afterwards a parsonage was needed, and a house at 1837 Dearing Road was bought. (This is not the current parsonage next to the church.) New offices, educational space and a nursery were built during 1974-75, and the sanctuary was also updated. Additional property was purchased for parking. In 1982, the open breezeway between the sanctuary and education buildings was enclosed. In 2001, a new addition was completed between the sanctuary and educational building, including additional ladies’ restrooms. Another parsonage was bought on Fizer Avenue (next door to the church), and the Dearing Road property was sold. The latest construction project was in January, 2019, updating the nursery to comply with current building codes.